Thursday, June 23, 2011

Win a free gift from the head honcho!

So, did you really think you were going to win a free gift? Think about that. A free gift? Have you ever gotten a gift that wasn't free? Of course not. And win? Well, you can't very well win something that's given to you -- for free. Right?

Welcome to today's topic: redundancies. And this one is a group effort. Please feel free to add your own, because I know I'm only scratching the surface. OK, here goes:

head honcho: honcho means leader, so ...

Please RSVP: The translation of RSVP is repondez s'il vous plait, the last three words of which mean -- you guessed it -- please.

close proximity: Yep, proximity means close.

my own personal: Thrice redundant?

In addition ... also: As in "In addition to being a language snob, I'm also a chocolate snob (no Hershey's for me, thank you)."

And now the self-explanatory:

PIN number

ATM machine

GPS system

On a somewhat related note, have you ever noticed the redundancy of the sheet of plastic covering a slice of American "cheese"?

3 comments:

  1. Indeed, American cheese is its own personal packaging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always giggle when Matt watches baseball on TV, and the ticker at the bottom says, "MLB Baseball." Major League Baseball Baseball?

    ReplyDelete
  3. James loves the MLB Baseball one. I can't believe I forgot to include that! Thanks, Colleen.

    ReplyDelete